HUD Certified Housing Counselor
This position within the Chicago Urban League’s Housing Department is primarily responsible for providing professional housing counseling services and assistance in all areas of homeownership, rental and/or foreclosures. The Counselor must have good interpersonal skills; possess a working knowledge of financial capability, credit and budgeting as well as individual asset building. The Counselor must also be efficient in analyzing credit reports and be an effective financial coach assisting clients with meeting their financial goals. The counselor must be able to convey suggestions/ideas in a constructive, nonjudgmental and professional manner. The counselor must be organized and efficient in time/work management with a keen sense of urgency. Counselor should need minimal supervision to accomplish these tasks. Must be able to work from home and office.
Two openings are available for this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides clients with information on all aspects of homeownership from pre-purchasing requirements to foreclosure prevention and rental, with a heavy focus on financial coaching.
- Available to clients throughout the entire counseling process to address any problems and/or answer any questions.
- Maintains client files and program records according to all contractual and grant requirements.
- Manage data integrity and governance in the Counselor Max database and other required CMS (Client Management System) systems.
- Attends and participates in educational housing programs; maintains essential job skills and core competencies.
- Must be willing to attend 30 hours of continuous education towards recertification every 3 years.
- Must be willing to conduct workshops, seminars and one-on-one coaching activities. Virtual or in-person seminars and workshops are offered monthly from 6-10:00 pm.
Internal and External Reporting
- Processes and prepares timely reports on clients for periodic audits and contract reviews for CUL staff and funders as required.
- Assists with and facilitate on-site and off-site housing fairs and seminars.
Performs other duties/special projects as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The Housing Counselor interacts with internal staff and has extensive contact with outside contacts, clients and vendors.
Knowledge and Skills
This position requires:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and/or a minimum of 2 to 4 years of equivalent experience and training in a related field. Certifications in foreclosure prevention, homeownership counseling, financial capability and rental housing counseling are a plus.
- HUD Housing Counseling Certification- Certifications in the areas of Pre Purchase Counseling and Homeownership Education is a PLUS.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and database software applications. Exceptional attention to detail and data verification.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment and execution of work with a sense of urgency.
- Accountability for work and have a high level of professional and personal integrity. Trustworthiness with knowledge of confidential client and funding information.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual and able to read, write and speak Spanish proficiently.