Title: Community Navigator
Reports To: Program Manager- Social Justice Initiatives
Position Details: Project-based Stipend Position
Under the direction of the Director of Workforce Development, the Community Navigator will provide information about legal services, mitigate collateral consequences of incarceration, provide practical supports, assists in filling out forms and advocate for justice involved individuals. They will also foster social supports by connecting individuals to community resources to increase their social connections.
- Reach and train 100 community members on legal literacy authorized curriculum.
- Refer 35 community members for ILA2J legal services.
- Accompany 20 community members to court and legal proceedings.
- Provide information on social justice initiatives and legal support services.
- Provide “Know Your Rights” educational workshops via various channels (virtual, in-person, events, and educational/vocational settings.
- Outreach to individuals at risk of recidivating to offer help with education and employment and other support services as needed.
- Assist with logistics, facilitation, and follow-up to ensure effective social justice training and workshops.
- Develop presentations and other communications for program/department-related events and activities.
- Serve as programmatic liaison to external partners, including representing WFD at meetings.
- Other duties as assigned to ensure fulfillment of the mission of the Chicago Urban League.
- Helps participant’s access essential self-help services.
- Provides weekly reports on services and activities.
- Completes required participant case records/documentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position requires the individual to work closely with the Workforce Development staff while taking direction from the Department Director. He/she must possess great attention to detail and have strong organizational skills. This individual must understand, maintain, and uphold the mission and vision of the Chicago Urban League.
Knowledge and Skills
- Positive attitude.
- Experience working with returning citizens.
- Good speaking and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish/maintain community relations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- Must be able to work independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Provide own transportation and adequate insurance.