POSITION: Career Development Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Workforce Development
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Workforce Development
The Career Development Specialist helps program participants become economically self-sufficient through intensive job readiness training, job search assistance and placement, and retention activities. He/she works closely with Workforce Development staff and reports directly to the Vice President of Workforce Development or his/her designee.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Intake, assess and document the enrollment process, and ensure accurate record keeping in the client management system.
- Submit documentation to data entry consultant within 48 hours from the time of participant engagement.
- Plan, organize, and guide service delivery, in joint effort with participants, from beginning to closeout.
- Make necessary recommendations on the need for additional and external services/activities and provide wrap-around supports as needed.
- Monitor and evaluate program progress against contractual grant obligations, and adjust service strategy accordingly to ensure outcomes.
- Assist with promoting the program to local residents and community organizations.
- Assist with community mapping and in identifying local resources for program participants.
- Assist participants with resume and cover letter development.
- Provide weekly performance reports and communicate challenges affecting outcomes.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Workforce Development.
Perform other duties as assigned.
This position requires the individual to work closely with the Workforce Development staff and while taking direction from the VP. He/she must possess great attention to detail and have strong organizational skills. This individual must understand, maintain, and uphold the mission and vision of the Chicago Urban League.
Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree with 5-7 years’ experience in workforce development.
- Experience in any/all of the following: Supervision, teaching, training and development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish/maintain excellent community relations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- The ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Provide own transportation and adequate insurance.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and clear driving record.
Please send a cover letter and resume to the following email address: email@example.com. Please include “Career Development Specialist” in the subject line.