POSITION: Community Outreach Worker
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services Center
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Senior Program Manager
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Vice President of Youth & Family Services
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the community outreach worker is a team member for the Chicago Urban League. The Community Outreach Worker is responsible for acting as bridge between the community, the League and other community service providers. This person is a trained and trusted worker who is respected by the people they serve and applies their own unique understanding of the experience, socio-economic needs, language, and/or culture of the communities served.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working as part of a team to support and sustain community-led action around issues related to youth services;
- Working as part of a team to organize and hold events that draw in and involve local residents and partners;
- Recruiting and supporting local people to become volunteers and active leaders in their community, and ensuring that they remain engaged and involved Working as part of a team to design and deliver a range of innovative community outreach and engagement activities throughout the Chicagoland area including the South Suburban areas;
- Developing and sustaining positive relationships with a range of people, including residents, community leaders, local groups and organizations, and local authorities;
- Supporting face-to-face, and online activities;
- Supporting the delivery and analysis of community-based qualitative action research;
- Attending meetings and working as part of the CUL, R3 and Chicago Connected project team;
- Working in different environments (both office-based and on the ground), at times best suited to the community (including some evenings and weekends).Maintain case notes and participant files and ensure that all reporting requirements are adhered to as outlined by the funder and program for every client interaction
- Work collaboratively with community partners and other CUL Departments/Staff in linking clients with needed services.
- Performs other duties/special projects as assigned.
This position requires the individual to:
- Share our commitment to tackling inequality and putting people at the heart of social change, particularly in relation to health and wellbeing.
- Extensive experience working in community outreach and engagement, particularly with disadvantaged groups.
- Experience of facilitating and leading creative and engaging community-based workshops and activities.
- Experience of recruiting and supporting people from diverse backgrounds to take part in community-led projects.
- Experience of working with a variety of different stakeholders, including residents, local groups, and organizations across the voluntary and public sectors.
- Experience of recruiting, supporting, and mentoring volunteers within a community project.
- Experience of organizing creative and successful events which engage and involve people from a range of different backgrounds.
- Strong communication skills including presenting, facilitation, and relationship building.
- Hard-working, reliable and professional, able to manage a varied and challenging workload and work well both as part of a team and alone.
- Willing and able to work in different environments, including being office based and spending a large amount of time on the ground within communities.
This individual must understand, maintain, and uphold the mission and vision of the Chicago Urban League.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and motor vehicle insurance to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Illinois. Must pass a criminal background check.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma required; Associates Degree or some college preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Strong computer skills are required especially with case management data systems
- Must be professional, mature and willing to be a role model.
Please send a cover letter and resume to the following email address: email@example.com. Please include “Community Outreach Worker” in the subject line.